Weekend Round-up

I can't do it.  I cannot make up my mind.  I've tossed Rockport idea out.  Do I want a small wedding with only a few folks or do I want to throw a bash in my yard and invite everyone?  One minute I want big, loud and fun and the next I want something very small and special.

Ugh!  Frustrating.

Rockport was a great idea, but alas I don't have $10,000.  If I did, it would be spent on Aaron's school costs and not a clambake near the ocean.

Maybe I'll stick to small.  I think Aaron would rather that anyhow.  But a big party with great music and lots of friends and family would be nice.

I know one thing:  I want something that in no way will remind me of my first wedding.  That's probably not a nice thing to say, but I don't mean it that way. 

~~~

This weekend, or yesterday, we assembled this monstrosity of an entertainment center. And by "we" I mean "Aaron."  I napped on the couch with Clara.  We re-arranged the whole living room and now I have a very cozy space complete with nice tv and High Def coming this week. 

This is all for a Superbowl Party.  I don't even know who is in it. And, I don't care.  Because before the party we're having.... (drumroll please)....

Autumn's Fifteenth Birthday Party!

Yes, my little girl is turning 15.  I can't believe it!  It struck me yesterday while I was convincing the dogs to stay out of the direct path of the vacuum that my parenting her is almost over.

I know you never stop being a mom, that's not what I mean.  I mean, my time to influence her future choices, to raise her will be ending soon.  I have what?  3? 4? years left.  Everything that I've tried to instill, to teach her will be rolling around that brain until one day she decides/remembers to use it. 

That is freaking terrifying to me.

One bright spot of hope:  she finally decided to jump into the Honors track at school.  For some reason she refused to do it for her Freshman year.  Considering its a hard enough year already, we let her stay in the standard classes.  These classes were so easy for her that she sort of slacked off and got lazy.  Her grades are NOT what they should/could be.  So I am very proud of her.  She did this all on her own too, which shows some maturity.  That or a cute boy is in honors. 

Fifteen.  Holy crap.

~~~

Foster dog Clara has learned a few new signs.  She knows "target" and what my head nod means (it means keep going, you're close to doing the desired action) and what a thumbs up means (You did it! Your rock!).  So now, when I give Seth or JP a thumbs up for doing something, I have a rather expectant pooch standing in front of me!

She is doing great.  She is getting into that place where a lot of rescued dogs go to though.  She is digging in and asserting her place in the pack.  This can be tricky.  People tend to freak out when a dog growls, but really what this is is a fair warning.  She has 3 choices: growl, bite or leave.   Leaving the room is the desired action, but for a dog who wants to cling to her place and her people, this is hard.  So she has chosen to growl. 

Last night she hopped into bed and when Aaron came in, she growled at him.  Unacceptable.  She was removed from the bed and not allowed back.  She needs to learn that the hierarchy doesn't have her at the top.  It has Aaron & I. 

Other than that totally natural occurrence and quite fixable, she has been a doll.  She is like a big cat.  Her happiest moments are curled up with me on the couch or playing tug of war with Clancy.  She deserves the best home.

All for now: have mountains of work to do.

Comments

  1. SHE'S TO LITTLE TO BE 15, YOU HAVE A GREAT KID SHE (THEY) WILL BE FINE THATS FOR SURE HUG &KISSES GIRLS LOVE AUNTY KATE (LAUREN YOU TOO) I THINK THERE TRIPLETS

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO A SMALL WEDDING AND A BIG PICNIC THEN YOU CAN HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH EVERYONE ITS NOT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW ANY COOKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I think a big backyard BBQ is a great idea. You might want to check out Bub's BBQ. They cater. Hope Jim and Heather and their gang can make it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts