It Begins....

School starts Wednesday.  I have four kiddos heading back, one in 11th, one 8th and two starting kindergarten. 
 
Autumn has her eyes on the prize.  She has started looking at colleges and casting a wide net.  I keep encouraging her to think about the kind of life she wants to lead, what interests her and what doesn't.  Exclude what doesn't make sense at all, likely this will be true in ten or even twenty years.  Knowing what you don't want matters.  She's creative, she likes art and making things.  I am trying to gently suggest the kinds of schools that might interest her in the hopes that something will click.  Its an inredibly exciting moment in her life.  This is where all that potential and hard work starts to surface, the time where all things are possible and the time to really investigate where your path might take you.  Very cool.
 
Danielle is in her last year of junior high.  As I remember it, 8th grade was my worst year of school ever.  Ever.  She is in an incredibly difficult time of adolescence.  I keep watching and waiting and holding my breath while sort of squinting.  I sincerely hope that it goes better for her!  I keep telling her to just hang in there, keep her wits about her and trudge onward.
 
Seth.  Totally ready for this.  Not a concern. 
 
JP.  See, this is where it gets unpredictable for me.  Every parent of a special needs kid has a lot churning in their minds right now.  Things like, did that IEP really make sense?  Will s/he stick to it as well last year's teacher? Will he like his classmates?  How will they handle his tantrums/meltdowns?  Will they learn to read his frustration and be able to head off the outbursts?  Will he sink or swim?  Will he make friends? 
 
There is a whole host of questions that run through my mind.  His pre-school teacher/coordinator set a pretty high bar so its a little scary for us.  He will continue his therapy in school and his IEP is really a sample of how they should be written, followed and enforced.  Seriously, when it comes to Special Education I would put Granby schools against any, anywhere, anytime.  I can't imagine how it could be better.  So, I know this.  I remind myself of that, but hey, I'm a mom.  I worry.  Its just so hard to see this little guy who defines "sweet and loveable" get into that place where he loses control. 
 
 Its hard to know that he will likely have a hard time and that other kids aren't going to be understanding.  Its hard to see a difficult road ahead and then push your child toward it, knowing full well that he will fall.  He will get hurt.  But hopefully, like we all need to, he'll get up, dust himself off and keep moving.
 
Bearing witness to the creation of "thick skin" can be blinding in its brazen cruelty.   




 

Comments

Popular Posts