"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K." Ted Theodore Logan

Update - 8/25/10:  Co-workers were talking about Cider House Rules and where it was filmed.  I looked it up for them.  Guess what?  It was filmed in... BELLOWS FALLS, VT!!!

Something really weird happened today.  It was too big a coincidence not to share. 

I'm writing.  I'm writing a novel to be more clear.  It is a total work of fiction and its a young adult book (mainly because I lack the emotional maturity to write a big people book).  The main character has to make a journey (naturally) and part of the fun of writing fiction is creating the journey (its also the really hard part, I suck at decision making).

Being my very first real and honest attempt at writing something this big, I thought I should stick with what I know (naturally).  And part of that means I either have been to these places in said journey or have read enough and seen enough pictures that it feels like I've been there.  Needless to say, this novel takes place in New England. 

This character needs to get from Point A - her home - to Point B (naturally).   I actually looked up the directions online today and looked for places she might travel through.  All hail Google Maps streetview, satellite and driving directions.  The results are that these are all places I could visit some weekend.  One such place that struck me was Bellows Falls, VT.  I have never been to Bellows Falls nor had I ever heard of the place.
(Perfectly lovely according to their website btw.)  I read a bit and even printed out a walking tour and thought that it might be a cool day trip for the family.

I went and picked up my boys after work as per usual and as I got out of my car, Michelle, my daycare provider, was talking with one of the other moms.  I caught this...

"...so he's off to Bellows Falls..."

"Wait, what?!  Did you just say Bellows Falls?  In Vermont?"

"Yeah, my husband grew up there...."

Insert spine tingling music sound effect thingy here.

Yeah, that was weird.  I took it as a sign from the universe that Bellows Falls is a GREAT place to include in one's first novel.

Also, when I called my father immediately upon leaving... he told me that my mom's father traveled through this place regularly when driving to and from Canada.  With my mom (naturally).  

Bellow Falls has nine locks you know.  And nine is a pretty cool number.  Especially when you're superstitious as shit.

*As a side note, as I was writing this post and using parentheses, I kept typing "9" because this keyboard is old and the shift button sticks.  Yeah, I am officially in a tizzy over this weirdness. 9, just for good measure.  Tossing salt over my right shoulder with my left hand right now.  Where's the sage?  Someone burn the sage!  LOL! Oy!

Comments

Popular Posts