The Yarn Harlot Enters My World

Yarn. I have issues. I could stand in Webs and just pet the new yarn displays for hours. People look at me there like, "I totally get it. Move over." Outside Webs? People just look at me like a crazy person. Words to describe yarn by the obsessed include: delicious, scrumptious, yummy, gorgeous, butter, and oh my. Words used by others: blue, green, soft, itchy, and too expensive.

Friday at work I discovered a small knit/crochet group (in my world called a "stitch-n-bitch" but I don't know these ladies that well just yet). Score! And score for a few reasons. The first... they are more experienced knitters than I - well who isn't? They are incredibly kind and giving and helpful. And here's the best part: they're other admins who have been on campus for a while so they know a lot dirt! Dirt is necessary for a successful SNB (that's short for stitch-n-bitch for the acronym inept). I think we're going to get along fine. They did me one big disservice though: they introduced me to the Yarn Harlot.

The Yarn Harlot is a blog. A blog that has been busy and running since 2004. That leaves a helluva lot of reading for me to catch up on. Her name is actually Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and she is a very published, very funny, very real and very talented woman. She is new to me, but there is an entire underworld of knitters out there who follow her. Oh, and Mom: she's Canadian!

So, here I am at work (not MHC, I'm at Prov waiting for the phone to ring) with a bag of yarn and various needles and hooks and an in-progress shawl and I'm READING about knitting and sumptuous yarn (HA! Another adjective to add to the list).

Must get priorities straight: work on the damn shawl and FINISH the bugger so you can start that adorable knitted bag. I bought the sweetest bulky wool for this thing... and I have a pair of size 15 Knit Picks Harmony Wood needs to match.

I'm getting paid for this... life is grand!

Comments

Popular Posts