Pain

I read this blog about knitting: http://www.modeknit.com/. And guess what? She was recently diagnosed with fibro. Inf act, her post goes something like this:

Good Days / Bad Days


So I'm about 2 weeks into this Fibro thing, and this current flare up is a bit of a roller coaster. The days seem so long, the past 2 weeks feels like 2 months. I get SO happy when it seems the pain has subsided, only to become crushed when it comes back.

This is something I need to get a handle on, I need to work through. From what I've read, just IS an up-and-down road, but mentally coming to terms with this is almost as hard as physically coming to terms.

I see myself as a Warner Bros. cartoon character, just waiting for the anvil of Fibro to fall. Okay, that's a little dramatic. Sorry.

Yesterday I had a massage (I bought a gift card last year, 3 massages for the price of 2!) and had an adjustment right after (the massage therapist works through my chiro's office)

I hurt. Sleep has been hard the past 2 nights, and I can REALLY feel the lack of it in my shoulders and joints.

The night-before-last the pain was so bad that I was incoherent when I woke up, and I missed the online chat I'd set up with my Combination class students. Bad teacher...


I don't know why, but whenever I read about someone else with Fibromyalgia I feel validated.  I rarely write about this anymore because honestly, it annoys the hell out of me that I have this stupid thing.  You become so accustomed to pain that you realize how much you have when you don't have it for a day or three.  And then it will return with a vengeance.

While I feel for her, I could kiss her for writing about it.  In fact, I find that whenever I meet someone who has it, we hug each other.  Strangers at the pet food store, the grocery store, long-time co-workers who reveal this about themselves to me, doesn't matter.  It usually goes like this:

Person:  Ouch!  Oh, this stupid fibro sucks.

Me:  You have it too?!!

Person:  You too??

Me:  Yes!

And then we discuss what remedies and meds and therapies and food and drink that help or make it worse.  And then we hug.  Because in that moment, someone else is staring back at you who absolutely knows how it feels and they become a compassionate, achy, understanding compatriot.  We walk away feeling like, "Yeah, this does suck and I'm not the only one walking around on feet that feel like they're 237 years old."

I often say that Fibro feels like the second day after a moderate car accident.  To be more specific, that pain is sometimes only in my shoulders, back and legs.  Its always in the hips.  And lately my feet.  I took pointe class for years and my feet never felt like this.  I wear Merrills all the time now. 

It sucks this stupid Fibro.  There. I bitched.  Deal with it.  :0)

Comments

Popular Posts