So many movies, so little sleep

The thing with being able to watch great movies at home is that right after Oscar season, the screeners are virtually seeping their way through the internets into my hard drive.  Its like magic.

Last night I watched the new Modern Family.  Best one liner? 

"Look at that, two things flaming at once."  Mitchell

I almost peed myself I laughed so hard.

Then I watched the new 30 Rock.  This is just as funny as Modern Family but its a different funny.

And then... I watched Up in the Air.

Let's discuss that shall we?  First of all, I started it way too late.  That has nothing to do with how much I did or didn't enjoy this film... just sayin'.

So, its great.  But you heard that already.  I loved almost everything about it except the very end.  I felt like I had watched this whole movie to see and hear what I already knew and was hoping the main character would learn.  In the end I was left with a, "Now what the hell was the point of THAT?!" 

The acting was great, the writing was great, the whole premise was original and cool and I loved it right up until that last 4 minutes.  At which point I wanted to call the writers and director and whoever else came up with that ending and say, "Ummm...yeah... us normal folks already get this stuff."

It didn't teach me anything or reveal something to me. I like my movies to do that without preaching or manipulating the audience into tears.  Just present a story and let me have my own "A ha!" moment.  Up in the Air did almost all of that, without the "A ha!" moment. 

Earlier in the evening... I watched 2/3 of Princess and the Frog.  Great music, terrible movie.  The boys seem to love it.   It was cheesy.  It tried to be original but what Disney doesn't get is that changing the location and race of characters in the same tired old formulas doesn't make anything "different" or "original." 

And what is UP with their obsession with witches, voodoo, magic and all such manner of things?  It was absolutely insulting to anyone who lives in NOLA and practices voodoo.  Its NOT devil worship!! They don't even believe in the concept of the devil.  I mean really?  Was that necessary? 

Did I mention the music was good?  It was.  The music was good enough for me to want to steal share the soundtrack.  Peer to peer style.

Comments

Popular Posts