Old Job Blues

Work is slow. I haven't seen my boss in over 2 weeks. I only have about 4 1/2 - 5 weeks left and I'm done for 6 weeks. Not helping in the motivation department.

Its weird here. My job is sort of a fluff job. I mean, I was working in an office where I dealt with people in desperate need of help. Suicide calls, heroin addicts, homeless people and their families. I was burnt out. Now that I'm here and I'm surrounded by idealistic young women whose lives have led them to a $50,000 a year private school... .it is sort of boring. The adjustment from a centralized intake office with 30 year old desks and crappy computers to a fancy pants office isn't really all its cracked up to be.

I think the bigger problem is that in Old Job, I knew the jobs of every little section of our world. I was a "go to" person and I did my job very well. Here, I'm bottom of the barrel. I do my job very well don't get me wrong. But, I'm low man on the totem. There is a lot to like here, but being the least educated, the least experienced... it sort of sucks. And, you don't make friends here really. There really isn't anyone here that I talk to about anything other than work. That's a huge change for me.

I miss my Old Job a lot sometimes. And today is one of those days. I miss my friends and I miss the urgency of the work. Here, I mostly dream about getting my Masters and teaching. Like I was supposed to.

I cannot imagine being in this office in 5 years. No way.

Comments

Popular Posts