Do you Freecycle?

First, I was all about Craigslist. Then, a friend told me about Freecycle. If you freecycle already, then you're already sitting there, head bobbing and "Oh Yeah!ing" along with me.

It has sort of been a surprise as to how many near and dear to me do not know about this wonderful group. Basically what it is is a free virtual tag sale. Everything is free, as long as you're willing to go get it. People have stuff they no longer need or use, so they post it on their local Freecycle group. If you want it, you reply to the poster via email. If you are the first one (or only one) to ask for it, you get it. the poster will reply and be like, "Hey dude, come get your stuff. I live here/I'll meet you here".

So... how do you join a Freecycle group? Easy sneezy. Go to Yahoo!Groups and search "Freecycle". Choose your local chapter or three and sign up. You will need to join Yahoo! and get a sign-on name. If you have a Yahoo! email address, then you're all set.

I recommend setting your group to a digest format. You will receive one email with a bunch of posts in it at least once a day. Every group sets its own limit as to how many posts can be in each digest (usually about 20 or so). So, you will get emailed with all this FREE STUFF! Woo hooo!

Here's the coolest part: meeting some really nice people. Most Freecyclers are just normal folk who like to do nice things. You know, like give you stuff for free. Today I gave a huge trash bag of clothes to this very nice man. A few weeks ago I drove out to a neighboring town I was unfamiliar with to pickup some things and discovered a whole new little world right near me! It's so fun! It's like treasure hunting, only without a compass. Google maps are good though!

So, yeah, Freecycle it baby! All the cool kids are doing it.

Edit: The bag of clothes for the nice man - it was baby boy clothes!! LOL! Not creepy old guy taking my old clothes or anything. Dirty mind you have.

Comments

Popular Posts