Moving forward and a super bitch

Big stuff. Conference call with the pediatrician cleared up a huge misunderstanding. Doc totally agrees, gave him a provisional Austism spectrum disorder diagnosis, made a referral, called Early Intervention and had a conversation with the daycare.

We're going to Boston Children's Hospital for his neuro testing and eval. I left a message yesterday and should be hearing from them today. Baystate has a one year waiting list.

I called the public schools yesterday to find out if school choice applies to pre-school. Here's what the rudest bitch in Massachusetts had to say:

Me: Hi, I'm calling to find out a bit more about school choice and if it applies to pre-school.

B: I don't think so, I think it only pertains to 6-16 year olds. Why, are you considering sending your child to another school district?

Me: Yes I am.

B: Why?

Me: Well, my son has special needs and he has been referred to special education. He attends daycare in South Hadley, so I would like to keep his commute and transitions as simple as possible.

B: Well, he'll still have to transition if he goes in South Hadley.

Me: Yes, but the pre-school is about 2 miles from his daycare. The Springfield schools are about 30 minutes away.

B: But he would still have to switch schools every day.

Me: Yes, but if I send him to Springfield he'll be making 2 large round-trips every day and I would rather him not have to spend 2 hours in the car everyday.

B: Why? He can't ride in cars?

Me: That's not the point. It would just be easier on him.

B: Easier on him or just more convenient for you?

Me: I just need to know if I can use School Choice for pre-school or not. If you don't have the answer, may I speak with someone who does?

And... SCENE!

She actually said that to me. I wanted to crawl through the phone lines and strangle this horrible, nasty human being. And people wonder why no one wants to send their kids to those schools.

I found out the answer, he will have to go to Springfield for pre-school. I am going to find out the hours today. I am also writing a letter of complaint to the Superintendent's office.




Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts