Tagged

Hold on , hold on to yourself
This is gonna hurt like hell

~Sarah McLachlan



I sort of quickly mentioned to Aaron that I signed up with DMR for help. "What's DMR?" he innocently asked. To which I quickly reply, "Department of Mental Retardation."

Silence.

"My son isn't mentally retarded Jenn, I don't care what anyone says."

Scary names. That's all it is. Just a name, a label. It changes nothing. I give him the pep talk I've been given and by which I've been living.

Labels. Not like the itchy ones in the collar of a cheap shirt, you can't just tear this one out by its seams. Its invisible. Its a tool. That's all. Name brand disorders come in all sizes and shapes. Name brand or generic, the kids are the same. Meetings and consultations as common as a One Day only sale. And in the pile of mixed up t-shirts and for-sale-jeans, you find the perfect one. The perfect fit. Its all it is. Just a name. It gets you admittance into the cool kids cliches: Medicaid, Therapies, Services. Just like my old double velcro, high top red Reeboks and my Swatch.


ed note: I was never in the cool kids clique. Total dork.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts