And we're back.

Well, this is big news. I'm pregnant. Sorry, it just seem like everytime I hear "big news" that's usually what comes next.

We went to the doc today for JP's evaluation. She really doesn't think he has Autism. Here's what she had to say:

Basically because he was premature and a twin his nervous system is immature. This explains the previous diagnosis as Sensory Processing Disorder. Now SPD isn't an axis I diagnosis so that means he wouldn't qualify for special needs care or increased therapy. So she wrote a letter asking the EI team to re-evaluate him and use his prematurity and delayed speech as the catalyst to get him more than twice a week therapy.

She said that he is a sensitive boy and could have some attention deficiencies as well. Only time will tell. We are doing the right thing by not taking him into situations or places that could set him off. Places like the mall, busy grocery stores, and a class of 2 year olds. This is why he has such difficulty at daycare. He is in a small class and they do try to split the kids up into two rooms for part of the day.... but being around 6 little ones is hard for him.

I'm a bit surprised at my reaction. I thought being able to point at an ASD diagnosis would get us closer to "healing" him. I had a treatment plan in my head. And now it isn't ASD (which is good). But I'm back to where I was.... sort of waiting for him to outgrow this. To learn how to speak better and deal with his emotions better. In the meantime he just screams??

I am relieved that he will be okay one day. I just wish I could push him there somehow. Its hard to describe it I guess. I just thought that with an ASD "label" he could get bumped into high gear right away somehow. More therapies, a one to one, and help for his teachers on dealing with him. I think I'll call the EI team and put some pressure on. Maybe I can start going to his appointments at his daycare and learn some things.

So good news, yes. But I can't help but feel like I'm back at square one again.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts