Is it just me?

Or is The Practice the worst piece of pooh on the tv? I mean, I almost would rather watch that insipid Choir battle show. Almost.

Every time I see something this bad it just makes so pissed off all over again that Black Donnelly's was canceled. I can't move pass that. It was so great. Good times.

Today I went to my daughter's school for a holiday lunch.It was pretty cool hanging out with just Danielle. We don't get to do that so much anymore. I was struck with her awkwardness. She is very self-conscious. She had her winter coat on, zipped up to her chin and kept pulling her hair into her face. I wish she could see herself the way the world sees her. She is so beautiful and so kind. Her lack of self confidence makes her suspect other kids and she doesn't make friends very easily. She and her sister are night and day. Autumn is the sort of kid who likes herself just fine. She is secure in herself enough to not always feel like she has to go with the grain. In fact she is pretty proud of the ways she is different from others. I wish some of that could rub off onto Danielle.

Danielle goes to school where her father and I went. A lot of people we went to school with have kids Danielle's age, so going to these things is like a mini class reunion. One of the biggest party-ers (I think this might be a local word?) from back in the day was there. He is now sort of chunky, balding, and was wearing dockers with a fricking Izod shirt. Izod. This is the same dude who wore G 'n R t-shirts, ripped black acid wash jeans, work boots and a beat up leather jacket every day of his life. My mind pictures him lighting up a smoke in math class. Though I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. Fricking Izod! And it was this lime green color. I was horrified looking at him. It was like a bad Halloween costume.

It makes me wonder which one is the real Him? Like maybe in the 80s he was dying inside wearing all that black. And maybe trying to get detention wasn't his biggest priority?? Is he wearing Izod because he missed it the first time around? Or is he dying inside now, aching for the heavy comfort of an old leather jacket? Does he still listen to Appetite for Destruction when the kids aren't in the van? Can he still shotgun a beer in less than 3 seconds? Does his wife know who he used to be? Will he one day tell his kids how he could start a bonfire in the middle of the woods with nothing more than a collapsed case of beer cardboard and a cigarette butt?

In opposite world I also saw the former hottie looking, well, nottie. Hair was still permed, bangs poofed up over the forehead. Harsh red lips slashed across a heavily lined face, nails filed to sharp points. The burnt orange hair frozen in time, trying to look like 1989 blonde. I had no doubt in my mind that her cassette player still held a Motley Crue tape, copied no doubt from a friend's. Nothing says cutting edge like a double decker boom box with a Compact Disc player on top to boot.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror trying to see if I look as old as they did. If I do I'll never admit it. Somewhere out there today maybe someone saw me and was all, "MMMm... gguuuurrrrl. You are not going to believe who I saw today. Jenn C - and damn if she didn't get fat!" I have no idea why I just wrote that as if I went to school with someone who wasn't white. This gurl went to Whitey Central. Straight up.

Peace out ya'll.... (hey, I live in the city now, I'm bad ass).




Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts