Its over

Can I exhale now? Well that was insanity. Here's a quick recap:

December 23rd I shopped. The 24th I finished.

I was supposed to have the whole clan here for Christmas dinner. A plumbing issue meant a change of venue. And I need to replace my toilet. Nice.

The 24th I:

1. Finished shopping

2. Did groceries

3. Bathed, fed and changed boys.

4. Aaron worked.

5. Loaded up van for almost 30 minutes straight.

6. Clancy gets loose. I drive around Springfield for over an hour frantically searching for him while the sun sets. I ask every hooker and drug dealer and nice person and police officer if they have seen a "big, goofy golden retriever who is probably looking lost and scared but excited at the same time". I got funny looks, but it worked. Found him. Running down a main road (State Street for you locals) and darting in and out of traffic. I leap out of my van and run down State Street myself calling, "CLANCY! CLANCY! COME HERE BOY! COME ON!" I was panicked and looked like a total lunatic. He bolted right for me and almost got hit by a car. His celebratory leap into mid-air and my arms almost knocked me over. The two Bloods standing on the corner of State and Hancock clapped for us. Its nice to see the gang members represent for this white lady. "Now that's a damn lucky ass dog right there." They so generously offered. Thanks guys... totally down with that. (insert cheesy thumb up and wink here)

7. I get into my van and cry like a little girl. I cried and cried. I was so scared and so completely stressed out I just lost it. I felt like I was crying for the whole year. The whole shitty 2007. Worst year I think. I couldn't get it under control. I hugged Clancy so tightly. Sometimes it really feels like he's the only one consistently by my side. I know its crazy... but physically he is there with me when I'm at my worst and my best. His soft fur has caught so many tears lately. He's a good boy that one.

8. Arrive at mom's house. Whole family is there celebrating. Food everywhere and people laughing. I am on the very edge of losing it still. I tell my story and get the distinct impression that they really didn't get the panic I felt. Its fine, most people don't understand my devotion to Clancy. Sometimes I don't even get it. I crack open a cold Sam and let it all roll off. Deep breath, Jenn. This is fun right?! My sister insists on singing on camera "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" to my brother in Florida. I resist and hold the camera. It was horrifyingly corny.
We shall never speak of this again.

9. Gifts are exchanged, kids are happy. And by kids I mean my parents. My father for the past 30 years starts calling us in November with "This year - lots of little gifts." or "Hey, this year, one gift so big it doesn't fit through the door." Well, he got huge this year. We bought him this awesome recliner for old people: easy to get out of, easy to recline and sit up. The box was so big it didn't fit in the house. We had to take it out of the box and bring it in that way.

*I got a gift too. We pick names in my family because there are so many of us. This year my nephew Pat bought for Aaron and I. But my SIL Sharon came to me with a tiny bag and handed it to me. It was an Angel's worry stone. It was so touching and so sweet. I have had it in my pocket since. Funny how these things can take you by surprise. It means so much to me.

10. Beer and wine going down nicely, we settle around the dining room table and listen to Christmas music. My father sings and suddenly Christmas is here. Silent Night, Holy Night... he sang to Seth who was sitting in my lap. Last night I asked him if his Grandpa sings nice to him and he tilted his head and sang, "silent night, santa night. Papa is key-ute!"

We left about 10:30pm. Walked through my front door and Aaron was there. He'd been home for about a half hour and managed to wash dishes, sweep, vacuum and other terrific things. We sent all the kiddos to bed and wrapped gifts and did all that Stuff until almost 2am.

Christmas morning: Autumn and Danielle are up at 7:30am. Before the boys. About 30 minutes later they came upstairs and basically said, "Mom! We're not waiting anymore!!"

And they didn't. They carried Seth and JP down the stairs. And with such excitement they pointed out the presents and how awesome Santa was for bringing them. They had so much fun!!

It was exactly how I imagined it. Or how I remember it.

Lovely day after a pretty crazy Eve. I can't wait to say goodbye to you 2007. Something's gotta give.

Comments

Popular Posts