When work is more than just work

I work at a place of extraordinary tradition and history. I work with women who make it, teach it and leave their names and marks on the world. Mothers, wives, sisters. All present. A purity of intent and actions to match words. There are no office politics, no cattiness or pettiness. Support coming at a new level.

Today I let my bosses know about JP. I have a lot of appointments coming up and will need to take some time to get things rolling. The director of the center (my boss's boss) was in my office and I sort of lost it when I heard it out loud. She had one hour to write a speech and get ready for a pretty big meeting. She closed the door, put her things down and sat with me. I often say "Show up and be present", well that's what she did.

She told me that my son was surrounded by strong women. Women who held within them a gentleness of spirit and a burning desire for him to get better. That I was a strong and capable advocate. That my son is my son for a reason. She looked right at me and said, "Here you have a gentle place to fall. We don't need heroes, just take a deep breath and know that you are appreciated and treasured. Do what you need and never question our absolute support. You are an inspiration to us all. How you do what you do.... its truly amazing." No one has ever said those things to me. And I take it with a strange sort of disconnect. I haven't really succeeded at anything yet so its hard to believe.

However, having her for a boss... only adds to the reasons as to why I just might change my track record.



Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

  1. "I haven't really succeeded at anything yet so its hard to believe." What?!!? You are sooo wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts