Pissed off sort of, not really. Well. Maybe.

Eventually, I'm going to have to break down and start my Christmas shopping. Every stupid year I wait and wait and then run around like a mad woman. Today was a crazy, busy day. I am switching JP's Early Intervention team to the area where he goes to daycare. I had the intake today.

I found out that his pediatrician can give her diagnosis as autism spectrum disorder and it will step him up to another level of care. This could mean a 1:1 for daycare which would be fantastic. The big challenge is that he turns 3 in a few months and at that point all his EI services end. Normally kids would go to preschool for a few hours and then those that need daycare would finish out their day in an autistic-centered daycare center. This would mean that I would have JP in Springfield and Seth in South Hadley. I don't want my sons going to the Springfield schools AT ALL. But I don't know if he could do school choice because of his "special needs". The intake person I spoke to today had no answer on this front.

I'm getting really annoyed with the "Um, I don't know." answers. I asked about how we're treating him and if we should be handling things differently. The conversation tends to go like this:

When my son does his freak out do I walk away like I would a normal 2 year old? At what point is this not effective or safe?

I'm not sure.

If I treat him differently am I spoiling him and creating an even bigger monster? Where is the balance at?

Great question. I'll bring it up at our team meeting and get back to you. (This is code for "who freaking knows lady")


When he is tearing at his hair and/or trying to bite me should I try to hug him until he stops? Keep my distance? Place him in a padded cage?

Gee, I don't really know.

WTF?! I'm angry today. I'm pissed off that I can't give him the cup of milk he so desperately wants. On one hand I really want to see if this works. On the other, I don't necessarily buy into it. I'm afraid of getting my hope up only to find that this diet change is for nothing. The kid can't even have Christmas cookies. What the HELL am I supposed to put in his stocking? He can't have chocolate. How do you live and not eat chocolate? I shudder at that thought.

I can't even write about it anymore. Going to watch Dexter.




Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts