Gretchen & Clancy

Today was my first Paws in the Park walk. I signed up to volunteer at a local shelter and this is a great way to get your feet wet. Bad pun intended. Basically a group of people take the shelter dogs out for a walk at a local park for about an hour. I walked Gretchen. Gretchen is a little terrier who was hit by a car. She limped into these people's backyard where they thought it was okay to leave her outside in the snowstorm for 3 days before calling Animal Control. She sat outside in freezing temperatures after being hit by a car. For three days. These people KNEW she was out there, could probably hear her crying and they LEFT HER THERE.

I can't even begin to wonder....

Anyhow, Gretchen was a doll. She was a little scared in the car but as soon as she started walking with us, that chick could STRUT! She was all business and practically pranced her way around that park. I sort of melted when I saw her checking in with us. She would glance back as if to say, "So, this is right? I can just keep going then?" hahhaa. Great stuff. She was definitely looking for someone. Everyone we would walk by she would look and look to see if it was her person. No one ever called the shelters for her or inquired about a missing little gray, wire haired terrier, Toto look alike. She is so sweet and so gentle.

When we got back there was red flyer on her window: ADOPTED. An elderly couple was coming for her. Finally! The life she was meant to have is on its way. It feels great knowing that somewhere out there, Gretchen is lying on her new bed, with her new people loving her so much.

And of course, there are those who are still in the dark kennel tonight. Sleeping in a place where dogs bark and cry, where they are kept warm and fed. Hoping that they will be chosen next.

~~~~

I took Clancy out for a good walk today too. The boys were sleeping and the girls were just hanging out so we took off. He met a mailman who told me that his Golden was hit and killed by a car a few months ago. I told him about some of the dogs needing homes that I met today.... he was a nice guy. Hopefully he and his wife will go and check out the dogs who so desperately want to be loved. Clancy was a total showoff. He gave his right paw, then his left, then laid down on cue. And of course he jumped up and hugged him. It was pretty funny.

OH! On our way home we had to cross the street at a busy intersection. I hold Clancy pretty close when we do this and his cue is "with me" so he knows he needs to be right with me. We're crossing and for some reason the guy at the red light rolled his window down and sort of snapped his head out the window and yelled, "NICE DOG!!" Well, my nice dog is also my nice protector. He didn't like that guy getting close to me. He snapped HIS head around and growled and barked in a pretty intimidating way. He never tried to pull on his leash, he just gave a warning. He put his head right back inside his car!! I can't imagine what my boy would have done had that idiot tried to come near us. Clancy just wasn't liking that guy. Which for him is very, very strange. He likes everyone. A lot. Everywhere. Typical Golden: I love everyone, just stay away from my family please! I'm working here!!!

Enough rambling about dogs!!! I am tired and am going to sleep!!


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts