Matthew & David

They each spoke at Patrick's burial ceremony. David and Matthew. David read the eulogy I wrote and Matt decided to speak from the heart. David spoke beautifully, every pause was warranted and though it was difficult, he did it. But before he started his reading, Matt stood and said a few words.

These guys are 18 each. Born 6 weeks apart. One blonde, one brown-haired. As different as night and day. David is into business world, antiques and theatre. Matthew has gauges in his ears and played football in high school. He wears a lot of black. David wore a suit with a purple shirt, cuff links and a Rolex (okay, its a knock off but it looks amazing). They don't have a lot to say to each other most times, but on this day.... they held each other up. They literally grabbed a hold of each other's strength and said what they needed to say.

Matthew stood there and spoke to every single person in attendance. He looked us in the eyes and told everyone what Pat had done for him. What he meant to him. The words rolled off his tongues and into our souls and surely took wing right up to Pat. He heard it, I know he did. I can't imagine the courage it took to do that.

Somewhere in that moment, my nephews weren't boys any more. They're the oldest ones now. These young men, who reached to each other in a time of great pain. Every single one of us agreed with my father when he said, "My grandbabies are grown men now."

I hope Matthew knows how much his words mean to us. And that David knows how proud we all were that he was able to read the words he was given.

Later that night Matt said to me, "Things will be different between us now."

Yeah, Matt... I'm sure they will be.

Comments

Popular Posts