Stars

There have been too many to not notice. Not stars in the sky... but moments pronounced or underlined with one. Sitting around tonight with my mom and my sister Lisa we had a conversation that let us put all these together.

It started Thursday night. Two of Patrick's best friends, basketball buddies, decided to go out and play a little hoop in honor of Pat. Mike told me that at one point they took a breather and as he caught his breath, he closed his eyes and leaned back on his car. He thought, "Pat, if you're with us buddy playing ball... give me something." And when he opened his eyes, he saw for the first time in his life a shooting star.

Friday night, my mom drove me home. She wanted to enjoy a quiet ride home with her thoughts. As she drove up Taylor Street, she looked up and there in the midst of a million was the brightest star she'd ever seen.

On my mother's picture window in her living room are two beautiful sun catchers: both stars. They have been up for some time. Today, one fell off. Then the other. They've never done that before. The first time was when my dog was going nuts in the kitchen and pulling on Dave's sleeves. Patrick HATED this. He didn't care for my dog much either... but hey, no one's perfect.

Two poems were given to my sister. One was written by her friend's mom and another was in a card. Both of them mention stars.

On the cover of my handmade binder for my study of tarot cards, I have a photocopy of my favorite card. The one card that I chose out of the whole deck of 22 major arcana and 56 minor? The Star. I showed Pat this book the last time he was over. Of course, he teased me about it... but I told him about the cover and what the Star meant.

Its meaning:

"The Star is most welcome when grief and despair have overwhelmed us. In our darkest moments, we need to know that there is hope, that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Card 17 holds out the promise that we can eventually find peace of mind. It is not a card of practical solutions or final answers. Truly without hope we can accomplish nothing, but hope is only a beginning. When you see the Star, know that you are on teh right track. Your goals and aspirations are blessed, but to realize them, you must take positive action. Use the light of the Star to guide you in your efforts." (copyright 1995-2001 by Joan Bunning.)

My deck is the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg. Here is an image of the Star card:

Okay Pat. You're really just showing off now! I love it. And I think I found my tattoo I'm getting. Amazingly, and in all seriousness, here is the link. The name of the image is "Birth of a star by Scuba Steve." Remember my posts about my Happiest Day? That photo of me on the beach in Rockport after taking my scuba dive test? My instructor's name was Steve. Everyone called him Scuba Steve. I know right??? Here's the image:

Comments

  1. Jenn, Stars are like loved ones...You don't always see them, but you know their always there. Thanks so much for keeping Pat's memory alive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts