I have enough, thanks.

My sons are giggling from their beds. Or JP's bed. Now its just outright hysterics. Seth is making JP laugh I think. He does that a lot lately.

This is enough. Everything about my life is enough. There is balance and harmony. It isn't perfect, but no one has perfection. And why for the love of God have we convinced ourselves that it should be? That we should be, that our kids should be. When did this happen? What marketing scheme made us feel like we weren't enough or didn't have enough? Why isn't 1,000 square feet enough space? Why isn't a size 10 okay? Who am I kidding.. why isn't a size 12 okay?

We have come to this place where women are literally killing themselves to be perfect, or at least have the perfect veneer of bliss. We beat ourselves up for going to work and using a daycare, we sneer at moms who leave their kids with daycare or nannies. We look down our noses at women who don't breastfeed or women who breastfeed to long. We can't believe it when our friend's child isn't potty trained by 2 or 2 1/2.

What the hell are we doing to ourselves? We look for a partner that will complete us. That cooks dinners or breakfasts, who always mows the lawn and does his laundry. We want our partners to be all things that we are and then what we are not. We have impossible standards that will only set him or her up for failure. It's no wonder the divorce rate is so high. When did supporting your family and loving you become not enough?

We tell ourselves that we should eat healthier, that maybe we need less fat and more protein. We measure our daily happiness by the up and down of a digital scale. Up one, bad day. Down one, great day. What will that pound bring you really?? Will dropping a jeans size truly make you happy? I'm not talking about unhealthy lifestyles or needing to drop 40 or 50 pounds. I'm talking about that stupid 10 pounds that found our asses on our 30th birthdays and decided to go for the extended lease option. If you eat more protein today will you really feel fulfilled or happier? And if you do, isn't that a problem?

When is it just enough? What does your life have to look like in order for you to take a deep breath and smile? Our kids aren't going to be all straight A students who appreciate the simple things in life. Face it, if you have or had a teenager you know damn well that what matters right now to them is their hair, their clothes and their friends! Period. All the Shel Silverstein books in the world can't stop adolescence. You can fight it or accept it to be the temporary insanity that it is.

I don't really want more. I don't want to go back to college for my Master's Degree. But I continuously say that I do. Why? I'm done! End of it!

My job isn't my life. My kids aren't my life. My boyfriend isn't my life. Theatre wasn't and will never be my life. My friends aren't, my dog isn't or my cat. My crazy family isn't even my life. It all is. All of these are just parts of a complete, very imperfect but very happy package.

And Good Lord, isn't that enough?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts