Survived

Let me begin by saying that little boys are ridiculously more accident prone that little girls. I raised two daughters that (knock on wood) have made it to 13 and 11 without the need for ER visits, stitches, surgery or casts.

Last night at 6:45 JP, Seth, Clancy and I were playing chase. JP was running really, really fast. He turned to see where we were and then tripped, flew through the air and his mouth landed on the toy box. Now, this toy box is tucked into the corner of the living room where no one could get hurt on it. It is metal.

JP got up and turned to me and I swear to God he looked just like Gene Simmons from Kiss. The blood was literally pumping out of his lip. He screamed for the next hour and a half. I don't blame him a bit.

I put cold compresses on the two gashes and sat him on the kitchen counter while holding him and the compresses, telling Seth things were okay and holding the phone. I was home alone. I called my mom, no answer. I called Lisa and got her. Moment of panic as I spoke to her. I then called his PCP office and was instructed to bring him in. The nurse sounded less than concerned. She didn't know that I tend to under-react to things like this.

At 8PM we left Holyoke Peds for the Baystate ER. It was too bad to stitch, he needed a surgeon to do it. At 11:30PM we left Baystate ER with a referral for a pediatric surgeon to see him this morning. We waited from around 8:30PM to 11:30PM to be told that the ER doc was not qualified to do the stitching because the gash passed the vermillion border. A mistake would mean that he would never look right and could drool forever. Nice.

So, and here's where the story gets really good, this morning the following chain of events took place:

1. Seth woke up 5AM. I got him to stay in bed until 6. Aaron got up.

2. JP woke up at 8AM. Me too.

3. 8:15AM, his EI therapist called to say she was running late. The night before Aaron was convinced she had cancelled that morning, so I hadn't called her to cancel. I told her the story.

4. 9:30AM: still trying to reach the eye doctor to cancel his 2PM, trying to reach surgeon, calling daycare to tell them we'll be late. Also calling work. And his PCP for referral. JP's sneaker is lost. He stays in socks.

5. 9:31AM: during the car loading process Clancy escapes the yard and runs off down the street.

6. 9:40AM: Clancy jumps into van like its a getaway vehicle and he just robbed a liquor store. Gets to go for ride and thinks the whole thing is fantastic.

7. 10:03AM: Seth screams "My belly! Belly!" from his carseat. He promptly vomits all over the place.

8. 10:11AM: Cumberland Farms, getting gas and some semblance of lunch to pack for Seth. Aaron has cleaned him off. Dog attempts second escape in parking lot.

9. 10:20AM: Seth is dropped off at daycare, I run into my office to grab day's work.

10. 10:32AM: Finally reach all doctors needed. JP is canceled with dream eye doctor only to find out that he is closing his practice in Palmer and we will need to call back in December and drive to his Southbridge office. I think this is about an hour from my house. Scheduled with surgeon for 11am. Dog is quietly laying on floor, Aaron and I still haven't eaten and no coffee. Things are looking bleak.

11. 10:40AM: Dunkin' Donuts - repeat every damn thing I say after every third word. I am ready to climb through the window when the woman says, "Now what did you order?" Why the hell have an intercom if you're not using the fucking thing? Coffee is the usually crap, food is worse than normal. Can't even eat the sandwhich.

12. 11:01AM: Dog is left in van while we carry the shoeless, bleeding child into surgeon's office.

13. 11:20AM: JP is cocooned into a contraption so he won't move. He thinks its fun at first, but when the Novocaine needle starts he decides this is really the inner circle of hell. The next 25 minutes he screams. And screams. I am touching his little shoulder, nurse holding his head, Aaron holding cocoon together. Surgeon does about 8 stitches in each gash.

14. 11:53AM: We're back in the van. Clancy is fine, sleeping in van with a soft breeze blowing on his fur. JP is holding a lollipop and looking pitiful. Mom is, well, she's been better. Dad seems like we just went to have the car washed.

And now, its 2:14PM. Everyone survived.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts